Friday 30 March 2012

Evaluation - Question 5 (Part 2)


I have reached my target audience in a number of different ways. Firstly, on Tuesday 20th March 2012, at 12:30pm, our film opening 'Lucid' was shown at its first cinema screening. In the audience were about a hundred and sixty teenagers about the ages of 16-18 which fits into our target audience age range perfectly as 'Lucid' is rated a 15. The audience reactions were very important to observe as this well give a direct view of the audience's instant reactions to it before they have time to stop and think over what they thought about it in their heads. Throughout the cinema there was silence as the music began to play and you could feel the tension building up in the atmosphere for the big killing scene. At the end we hear the killers final words 'I'm sorry' and the audience seemed rather confused about why he would be saying this after he had just killed someone. I think that this was actually a good thing because it will make the audience to want to watch on to find out why he saying those words. 

I have also reached my audience through a number of online websites such as Facebook, Youtube and Vimeo. Our film opening was uploaded onto all three of these sites because these are common places that our target audience of teenagers and young adults would visit when they are surfing the internet. We have had some peoples comments on Facebook about what they thought about our opening when we posted it on the social networking site. Below is a screen shot taken from Facebook. 




As we can see several people have commented on and 'liked' our film opening. We posted this on Facebook a few days after the cinema screening to see what other teenagers that weren't at the cinema screening thought about it. These people have given some useful feedback about what they thought. Again, someone mentions the final line of 'I'm sorry' in 'Lucid'. They also mention that this 'leaves the mind wondering'. This reiterates to me that this line is a very vital thing included in 'Lucid' because it makes the audience confused and they want their questions to be answered. I have learnt that this dialogue attracted the audience and now they are hooked and if we were to make the actual film I have no doubt that they would want to watch it. 






ROUGH CUT:

From creating the rough cut, I realised that there were a few things that I needed to change about it in order to make it more appealing and gratifying for the audience. Firstly, in the rough cut there was no music added yet as we were in the process of choosing and creating it. Therefore I feel that the rough cut didn't have the necessary suspense needed to make our opening extra special because most of this is created via the music. As I have learnt from doing a recent interview with a member of the target audience who had just watched the final version of 'Lucid', the sound was a very important aspect of this. She claims that the music gave her 'goosebumps and chills' and this is what I was hoping to do by using a 'simple but effective' creepy piano tune so it wasn't big and dramatic, it would still build the suspense but draw the audience in to it. We edited our chosen music by creating fade in and outs where necessary in order to create tension and to make the music peak when the footage climaxes. 

The feedback that was given to us also included us not having clear difference between the killing scene and the flash backs. We use crosscutting here as the two scenes flow side by side as we see Mark going to kill Jayne and also flashbacks of him writing on the post-it note. We added more effects like Cross dissolves to show the difference and quick sharp cuts which help build the pace and show the sharp devision between the scenes. I think that doing this will make our opening  clear and understandable for the audience and that is our main aim as lucid is defined as clear and understandable so we have tried to make every aspect of our opening reflect this too. 
The feedback was given to us by our teachers so that they  can guide us in the right direction but also from my AS class and this was good because they are all in the age range of 16-18 which hits the target audience perfectly; so I listened very carefully to their thoughts and feelings about Lucid and I then employed their feedback into finalising Lucid to make it ideal for the target audience. Gathering this feedback was vital as I wouldn't have known if I was on the right tracks to making something that will gratify my audience if I hadn't of got it. It helped me to understand where I want wring as because it was only the rough cut I still had time to edit it further and finalise it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment