Thursday 1 March 2012

Development of LUCID storyboard



Above you can see a new storyboard that I have developed myself as I felt that the first group storyboard was not appropriate enough for our film opening. I observed that the other storyboard was not thought about well enough as it was not put into a specific type of film opening structure like the ones that we have previously leant about in class such as a discrete or traditional film opening, for example. After many limitations within the group I decided that I needed to develop the existing storyboard in order to produce a better more relevant one as I personally felt that the previous storyboard did not for fill the expectations of what a storyboard should for have. Also I wanted to put more time and effort into making the storyboard aesthetically pleasing, a feature that the previous storyboard did not possess, therefore I worked hard in order to make the drawings clear so the observer can clearly understand what is going on.
With little input from the group about what they wanted to be in the story board I tried to make it fit into a Traditional Opening structure as I remembered other members of my group mentioning that they like this type of film opening before. As one can see, the first shot I have drawn is a pan of the house. This is the establishing shot which is important to feature in any Traditionally structured film opening as it sets the scene for the audience and enables them to easily establish the scene. In this case there is a house seen which seems like an ordinary home. This is the home of the killer and we want to trick the audience into believing that the man is an ordinary man at first but then when we get to know him we realise that he is not an ordinary man at all. The man looks normal on the outside, just like the house; however on the inside he is messed up and weird just like the house will be because his home reflects his personality.
During the storyboard I have used a number of different shots, for example close ups. We see numerous close ups such as zooming into the killers hand as he sets down the bloody knife on the table and of the phone when it begins to vibrate. Having close ups to these objects emphasis that they are of major importance for this film. Having various different shot types during a film opening is very important because we do not want to bore the viewer, we want to make it interesting for them so that they stay on to watch the whole film. Keeping this in mind, as well as using close ups here I have also used medium shots so that we can clearly see the full bodies of the characters so we can understand fulling what is going on. I have also used pans like at the very beginning of the sequence and also when the setting changes and we are introduced to an exterior setting in which the killing takes place; therefore I felt it important to use a pan here as well in order for the audience to be able to take in the scene fully before the action happens. 
I have put a lot of time and effort into developing the pervious storyboard on my own in order to create this new one which I hope that will be taken into consideration by the rest of my group when we start filming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment